How Whitening Rids of Tooth Discoloration
Teeth whitening is a procedure used to brighten your teeth’ natural color or discolored teeth without shaving off the tooth enamel. Teeth discoloration happens overtime without being noticed. The outer enamel wears down, exposing the yellow dentin. Teeth whitening near you can resolve discoloration either caused by:
- Extrinsic reasons are effects of substances that come into contact with your teeth
- Intrinsic reasons, which are results of something from your teeth or,
- Age-related reasons
What Causes Discoloration?
Your dentist will consider the present color of your teeth to identify the cause.
- Brown Stains result from smoking, chewing tobacco, taking coffee, and tooth decay.
- Yellow teeth may signify stripped enamel resulting from years of wear and tear. Older adults have a higher chance of having yellow teeth.
- Children may develop white spots on their teeth due to fluorosis. It occurs due to excessive use of fluoride in toothpaste or drinking water.
- Deficient dental hygiene causes black or grey defects from tooth decay or dead gum tissue.
- Red wine can result in a purple hue.
Other causes are:
- Genetic predisposition
- Mouth injuries disturb enamel formation or prompt teeth to lay more dentin under the enamel.
- Dry mouth or lack of saliva
- Collected tartar or plaque
- Residual effects of some antibiotics, antipsychotics, or mouthwash
- Tiny cracks on the teeth enamel that harbor stains
- Exposure to minerals like iron, manganese, or silver in an industrial environment or from supplements
What Are Treatment Options?
Teeth Whitening in Brooklyn, NY, employs several methods to brighten your teeth regarding the causal factors. These include:
- Teeth cleaning, also called scaling, is a process that solves extrinsic discoloration inflicted by a large build-up of plaque. It snowballs into preventing gum disease and tooth decay.
- Bleaching – This method gets teeth whiter by extracting intrinsic stains. It is mainly taken as a cosmetic procedure. Bleaching takes a multi-day approach for teeth whitening near you or home remedies. Here are some home remedies you can do:
- Teeth whitening gel or strips, which are made using peroxide. It disintegrates down to oxygen that combines with your enamel brightening it.
- Tray-based teeth whiteners. They are filled with bleaching gel and placed over teeth for few hours every day.
- Teeth whitening toothpaste.
- Dental veneers
- Masking, this dentist uses a thin cover of filling material over the natural teeth to mask their color. Your teeth may be trimmed to make space for the masking material.
- Use of dental caps to cover damaged teeth.
What to Expect at the Dentist
Consult a dentist for teeth Whitening in Brooklyn before buying any home kit for bleaching. Various products work better for specific stains. If your teeth are yellow, bleaching could work, while gray and brown teeth are more stubborn. Crowns and fillings cannot be bleached.
The first phase is Preparation. The dentist will analyze your oral health to settle on the appropriate treatment. If you have periodontal disease, our dentist will find an alternative intervention since whitening products can cause more irritation and sensitivity.
After the first step, the dentist will protect your gums with a rubber guard or gel. The whitening agent will then be smeared to the teeth using a customized tray customized to fit your mouth like a mouth guard. This tray maximizes contact between teeth and the treatment.
Alternatively, an in-office procedure can include laser or power lighting. The complete treatment takes three to four weeks. The first two weeks involve visits to the dentist, while the rest can be done at home by regularly applying the whitening gel.
What are The Aftercare Tips?
The effects of teeth whitening last for up to three years. The following oral care tips can maximize longevity:
- Brushing twice a day
- Routine check-ups
- Eating a lot of fruits and vegetables
- Rinsing your mouth with an antiseptic mouthwash
- Reducing intensely colored beverages such as black coffee, and red wine.
Are There Risks Involved?
You may experience some side effects, including:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Sore throat
- Irritation on the gums
These effects are short-term and disappear after the treatment. Seek medical help if they persist.
If you need teeth whitening in Brooklyn, NY, visit New Leaf Dental for reliable and effective treatment.